Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CSA Week One - Turnips

Funny how this day's vegetable is turnips but the hold up and the issues have been with butternut squash. After working all day and an hour at the gym, I come home ready to help Dave w/the Butternut squash cutting issue. While he is cutting and peeling the squash and the turnips, I am getting everything else ready. I am reading my recipe from "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer when I see "cooking time 1 1/2 hours. It was already 7:15 PM and there was no way I could wait another hour and a half for some food. Well I always have a back up plan: whole wheat pasta and homemade sauce. What we decided to do was to go ahead and cook the turnips and squash and then save it for Wednesdays dinner. We ate our pasta while the house smells wonderful of the squash and turnips. So..finally a real recipe for you.

Oven Roasted Turnips with Squash and Shallots
Preheat oven to 375F Place in a 13x9 baking pan and toss together: 2 pounds peeled and chopped turnips, 1 small butternut squash peeled and chopped, 12 small shallots-peeled, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground black pepper to taste. Roast, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are fork tender about 1 1/2 hours. Season with salt, pepper and parsley to taste. 6 servings.

**note** after 40 minutes, my veg was fork tender.


1 comment:

  1. awesome post!

    I used my spiralizer to make turnip "noodles" I am eating about 75% raw so all these veggies have been great- especially the greens. I have had the best green smoothies this week :-)

    ReplyDelete